Thursday 26 July 2007

MBA-Prep (Chronology of events)

We are now all set to join the JBS MBA Class of 2007-2008. It's been a long journey of about 9 months from writing the GMAT to booking the flight tickets. Please find below a chronological listing the key events on this journey. I hope this will provide a bit of a overview about the whole process for prospective students.


** 30th Nov - GMAT test at Mumbai

**December - Started working on the essays and the application

**4th Jan - Query about official transcripts (wanted to know if I could send copies of the official transcripts, attested by a notary)

**5th Jan - Reply to my query about transcripts (Yes, copies attested by a notary will do)

**8th Jan - Couriered the completed application along with the copy of transcripts

**10th Jan - Received email from Admission Office confirming the receipt of application form and all documents (except the reference letters)

**17th Jan - First Referee emailed the reference letter to the admission office

**18th Jan - Couriered the application for the Gates and Cambridge Trust Scholarships

**22nd Jan - Second Referee emailed the reference letter to the admission office

**30th Jan - Reference letter sent out by the Second Referee

**30th Jan - Email from the Admission Office stating that they have received all my documents

**9th Feb - Email from Admission Office with an Interview Invite (for the 12th of March)

**13th Feb - Confirmed to take the interview at Cambridge on the 12th of March

**12th March - Interview at Cambridge

**13th March - Email confirming admit and initial scholarship of GBP 5000

**16th March - Received a package (by post) containing the conditional admit letter, financial guarantee form, acceptance form and a whole load of information about Cambridge and JBS

**22nd March - Admission office arranges for a Current Student to act as my buddy, to help me through some of my queries

**2nd April - Mailed the 'Acceptance Form' (confirming my interest to be part of the JBS-2007/2008 MBA) and the HSBC Loan application

**5th April - Email from Admission Office confirming the receipt of the 'Acceptance Form' and the HSBC Loan application

**9th April - Mailed the 'Financial Guarantee Form' (a simple document that gives details as to how I plan to finance my study - including bank statements etc) ) and a cheque of GBP 2,800 (Initial Deposit)

**12th April - An online discussion forum formed for incoming students to discuss and get queries answered (This has helped me to know about by class-mates and get inputs on various topics from the current students)

**13th April - Email from Admission Office stating that my Loan Application has been forwarded to HSBC Bank

**13th April - Email from Admission Office confirming the receipt of the 'Financial Guarantee Form' and Initial Deposit

**5th May - Since I had not heard anything from the bank about my Loan Application I checked with the Admission Office in case they have heard anything. Yes, my loan is approved and the bank was to get in touch with me very soon.

**4th June - Received a letter from HSBC Bank - Loan approved

**15th June - Got a postal letter from Darwin College offering me a membership to the College

**22nd June - Got the final tuition fee invoice (it included the Mysis scholarship of GBP 5000 - thus taking the total scholarship to GBP 10000)

**10th July - Applied for the UK Visa

**13th July - Got our passports back with the Visa stamped

**17th July - Informed by Darwin College that the College will not be able to provide us accommodation

**17th July - Checked with the Accommodation Services about any accommodation options

**18th July - University Accommodation Services offered a furnished 1 bedroom University flat in West Cambridge at GBP 665 per month

**20th July - Booked the flight tickets to London (for the 4th of Sept)

It is now time for us (Aidah and I) to relax a bit, take a few vacations, visit family and friends, watch more movies and enjoy the Indian rain.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Alvin,
I've been reading your blog a time now and I found every piece of writing really informative. But I must highlight this last piece (actually The Interview day was great too).
I'm starting the process at this time: waiting for an appointment in my country for the GMAT, sitting for the IELTS next week, already thinking about my essays... so it is great to have this overview.
I would appreciate if you could tell me a bit more about your essays: what was important to you, how did you choose from your stories, what do you think was important for them, etc.
Thanks you for writing down your experience. It is really helpful and encouraging.

Alvin said...

Hi Pat,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on your query. I was on a brief vacation.

Thanks for your feedback. It is really nice to know that you find the information on this blog helpful.

As for the essays, I choose events/scenarios that I was proud of and demonstrated my leadership skills. I guess it is very important to reflect as to who you are in the essays and express as to what makes you an outstanding individual. "The is something positive in every person. Even a stopped watch is RIGHT twice a day" :)

Hope this helps.

Wish you the very best on the GMAT and IELTS.

Cheers,
Alvin.

Anonymous said...

Hi Alvin,

Nice blog you have there. I'm from South East Asia (Malaysia) and is appying to the Cambridge MBA as well for 2009 intake. You've noted in your "Chronology of events" that you've applied for the Cambridge Trust. I'm thinking of applying as well but so far, I have not heard of anybody who got their MBA funding through the trust ? Is it worth applying ?

Thanks dude

Chris