Saturday 5 May 2007

MBA-Prep (Selecting the school)

Even before I took the GMAT test, I started researching about schools. The key factors I was looking for were
1) One year or one and half year programs
2) Location (in terms of being near technology centers)
3) Diversity
4) Career Service
5) Reputation
6) Return on Investment
7) Scholarships
8) Loan (even for international students, without requiring co-signers)
9) General Management (with electives in Strategy, Technology Consultation et al.)
10) Firms recruiting at the school
11) Ranking

Based on these factors I shortlisted Cambridge University's Judge Business School (JBS), Oxford University's Said Business School (SBS), IMD (Switzerland), London Business School, National University of Singapore (NUS), Nanyang Business School Singapore (NBS), MIT Sloan, Warwick Business School, HEC Montreal and HULT Business School.

I applied to 5 schools, was interviewed by 4 schools and got an admit from 3 of them. I visited the schools, spoke to a few faculty members and current students.

All the schools were equally good. Each one had its own strengths. I finally selected JBS, as it was a good fit for what I was looking for.

A few tips based on my experience
1) Start early - Prepare early and apply early
2) Prepare the essays/cover-letter with care - Take your time and double check everything
3) If possible, visit the schools - This will help to find more about the school
4) Talk to faculty and current students - They can give you a lot of information that will help you make the right decision
5) Ranking is important, but should not be the only thing driving your decision
6) Check with your friends and family - I got a lot of help and inputs from my friend Mahesh, who had recently completed his MBA

No comments: